CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Friday, February 1, 2008

From Brandon Cochran, via Aunt Elaine


------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: READ THIS ONE: BRANDON's FIRST LETTER FROM MARINE BOOT CAMP

I just walked out to get the mail (11:33 pm) and there it was! His
handwriting is a little jeopardized, but he explains why:

"January 25, 2008

Greetings from under my green wool military blanket in my bunk bed. The
lights are out, guards are at the door and I am hidden well writing you
this letter. I don't know if this is legible, but they have trained me well
and I am sure I will go undetected.

Things are great! I love boot camp, especially marching and all the
physical activities. The first night we got here we were up for almost 40 hours
without sleep getting shots and filling out paper work. The next day
they tested us on pull ups, crunches, and a 1.5 mile run. I did ? 18
pullups, 82 crunches, and ran a 8:01 1.5 mile. Toward the end of the run a group of
?? Officers and N2O's cheered as I past the D.I. Who had over a 30 second
head start on us. The D.I was pretty mad needless to say. Yesterday, I beat
another D.I. In 2 .5 mile sprints. Unfortunately, he was MY D.I. Sgt.
Rusting, and I got an ???pull of ??? for that. But most important, the
name Recruit Cochran is well respected around the entire Bravo Company.
Boot Camp isn't as bad as I thought. The yelling doesn't bother me at all,
and most of the time you won't get yelled at as long as you're doing what
they say and you do it quickly. For the first week, I was the grunt of My
platoon. I would be sworn at in front of our battalion, but because I
would not swear and you you as the other recruits, I was made a Squad Leader
Instead. I love you all so much. Thank you for your support. I have had
many stories to share ...the temple? During free time a group of guys came
around a band and asked me about my beliefs and I taught them the first
discussion. I've been branded with the nickname "Mormon," "Boy Scout,"Sweet Potato"
(Cause I went to school in Idaho) and "Mr. Clean". I'll write again
soon,
Your son, brother UNLLF (??), Brandon L. Cochran P.S. Please copy and
send to Camille: 172 E. 700 North, Provo, Utah 84606"

0 comments: